Program : Degree
Course : Malaysian Economy
Code : ECMB313
Credit Hours : 03
Contact Hours : 03
Semester : Semester 1 Academic Year 2012/2013
This course provides the student with an overview of the Malaysian economy - the role of the government and its economic interaction with other countries in the region. Topics such as government economic plans and policies, income distribution and poverty eradication, labour force and labour relations, the financial system and international trade and investment will be covered in this course.
At the end of this course, students are expected to:
1. Critically analyse the Malaysian economy and its components.
2. Apprehend the economic development of the nation thus far.
3. Apprehend fundamental economic analysis provided by the media.
4. Rationally analyse the macro economy environment and the external factors in business decision-makings.
5. Assess, analyze and suggest appropriately methods on economy crisis.
6. Rationally analyse the implication of macro economy environment, current issues and implications of the current policies.
Wednesday, October 5, 2011
i. Absolute poverty
ii. Absolute hard core poverty
iii. Relative poverty
iv. PLI (poverty Line income)
2. Discuss the factors which are responsible for the high rate of poverty in rural areas and urban areas.
3. Briefly explain the strategies taken by the government to reduce poverty in both rural and urban areas.
4. `The strategies taken by government to overcome the problem of hard core poverty are different from the absolute poverty and relative poverty'. . Explain the statement.
5. “ The devilish aspect about hardcore poverty is that it can be inherited…” What is hard core poverty? Give your comment on the statement above.
6. What is income distribution? Differentiate the concepts of income distribution and income redistribution.
7. Give 4 (FOUR) reasons for unequal income distribution in our country.